Craig Della Penna, Realtor®'s Blog
If you are working from home or considering starting a new business at home, a home office is going to be very important for what you do. But you don’t necessarily have to break your budget to create your own home office, using what you have on hand, you can come up with something that is functional and effective for you.
- Take advantage of sunlight. Place your desk and chair in front of a window and watch your creativity blossom. You are probably going to spend a large chunk of your time here, so you want to be as comfortable as possible. The window view also gives you an opportunity to take in the view every other minute and reduce eye fatigue.
- Paint the walls. Don’t just paint the walls, paint them a color that really suits you. What kind of color suits your style and will increase your productivity?
- Find a comfortable chair. That goes without saying. Don't sacrifice form for function. The chair design you saw on Pinterest may look especially great in photographs but may be bad for your back with long term usage. You want to make sure that you have a chair that is ergonomically correct
- Add indoor plants. For some reason, plants make the atmosphere of any room feel better, so you should add some greenery to make the office more comfortable for you. Look out for plants that you don't have to water every day, that way nothing becomes lost in your absence.
- Add personal touches. Frame up some of your favorite quotes for the wall, or place pictures of your family on your work desk. Make it as personal as possible, so it reflects you and your style in every way. Choose accessories that will add to the feeling of comfort you want to recreate.
- Use space efficiently. You are probably not going to have as much space as a regular corporate office, so you should aim to utilize every available space. Use floating shelves to keep papers and office equipment away from your desk. You can get a bin to hold all your working files and to-do lists instead.Whatever intentions you had for setting up your office at home, make sure it’s something more than a regular chair and table set up in the guest bedroom. You want to be as comfortable, and at ease, as you can. Visit your local home improvement store for bargains on items that you may need.