Craig Della Penna, Realtor®'s Blog
When it comes to real estate, then the value of your house is everything. While some things that affect its value that you can't influence, such as the location or even the spending power of that market, there are a couple of things that you can take on to significantly raise the value of your home. If you are looking to sell your house sometime in the future, these are not such expensive things that you can start doing now, so that you can get a better deal whenever you are ready to sell.
- Make It More Appealing: How does your home look from across the street? Are potential buyers going to want to take a second look? Invest in a fresh coat of paint to make it look appealing. Freshly painted homes have a way of looking attractive to the eye, and that's where the value comes in. You can also look at getting rid of old carpets and long-standing odors and allergens.
- Do Some Landscaping: Plant bushes and shade trees around your premises if you can—they help make a place look more desirable, plus you can reduce cooling costs too. If trees look like too much work, get low maintenance shrubs and colorful plants around—make sure you ask for drought resistant ones so that you spend less on water and maintenance. You should also clean up your lawn and any other overgrown bushes you have around your property. If you can't spare the time, hire a lawn service company to do it.
- Make It Bigger: It's pretty obvious, the bigger your house, the more valuable it is. You can add a room to it or build a top deck. Buyers always notice things like that. Square footage isn't all that matters, increase the visual footage too, so it looks bigger to the eye. Use blinds to allow light in, since a sunny room looks more substantial. Clear the clutter and all the old junk you don't need any longer too.
- Make It More Energy Efficient: An energy efficient home will not only save you money now, but it will also make it more attractive to buyers in the future. Consider using air sealing and insulation improvements, or LED lighting and double-paned windows as they can make it check all the boxes for energy-conscious buyers.
If you’re not sure what will make the most impact on the value of your home, check with your local real estate specialist.
You should not overlook laminate when searching for a suitable material for your home’s countertop. Laminate is a well-known material that finds common usage for bathroom and kitchen countertops. There are numerous reasons why you should invest in laminate countertops for your home. The reasons range from prices to the availability of a wide range of options. Here are some benefits of using a laminate countertop for your kitchen:
One of the reasons why many people prefer a laminate countertop is its affordable cost. A laminate countertop is quite cheaper than others in its category. Buying a laminate countertop saves you money. It is an ideal option for homeowners that want to renovate on a small budget without sacrificing the quality of the renovation. You should also know that laminate countertops are simpler and less expensive to replace anytime there is damage.
A good reason to choose a laminate countertop over others is that its family-friendliness. Because it is a solid surface and it is not porous, it does not absorb food spills and bacteria, unlike some other natural stone surfaces. A laminate countertop is an ideal choice for households that are very active and have busy kitchens with lots of cooking and entertaining.
Another reason you should invest in laminate countertops is low maintenance. All you need to keep your laminate countertop clean is soap and water. You do not need anything special like sealers or special polishes, unlike other countertop materials that require you to buy special polish or sealers for maintenance. Also, laminate countertops can be cleaned easily in case of a spill or mess.
A wide variety of colors
Laminate countertops come in different colors thereby giving you the privilege to choose the perfect one for you. Also, popular brands like Wilsonart and Formica are continually coming out with new patterns, colors, and materials. Recently, Formica entered into a partnership with home décor expert, Jonathan Adler for a nice pattern collection.
Versatility is another benefit of investing in laminate countertops. They can be cut into any shape, giving a perfect solution for rooms with awkward dimensions. Laminate countertops are durable but are not as hard as natural stones. To prevent scratches, you are required to lay down a protective layer when using hot pots and pans, and sharp objects like cutting board, hot pads, knives, Trivets, and many others.
Visit your local home decor store to see available laminate options for your home renovation project.
Have you ever considered the benefits of having a spa at home? Or you are nursing the ambition of having a Jacuzzi at home. This whirlpool birth is an excellent addition to the house as it gives your apartment an aesthetic touch. Apart from giving your home an attractive look, it fades into the house background. The benefits of having a spa in your home are unquantifiable. Having a resort at home prevents you from spending in a beauty center or fitness center. Here are some advantages of having a spa in your home:
1. Enjoy it Without Moving from Home. One of the benefits of having a resort at home is that you don’t have to move out of your home to enjoy the facility. It saves you the stress of visiting a specialized facility that may be far from your home. Apart from that, it saves you cost of transportation and any other risk associated with moving from one place to another.
2. It saves time. Having a spa at home saves a lot of time. You have the opportunity of using your fitness facility at any time of the day. Apart from that, you are also at liberty to decide your time duration on your facility. This saves time spent on getting prepared for a specialized facility and reaching the facility. You would have spent a considerable amount of time on your spa during this period.
3. It saves cost. You spend a lot of money at a fitness center especially when you use some specialized facilities. For instance, you can enjoy a Jacuzzi moment in a spa center, but you will spend a lot of money. You realize significant savings when you have a spa at home.
4. It is fun. You can enjoy the home spa with your family and friend. You may decide to organize a party and enjoy the fun of having massages in warm water. Also, a home spa gives you the privacy that you desire. It allows you to have a private party in the comfort of your home without having to visit any specialized facility.
5. Flexibility. Another benefit of a home spa is the flexibility that it offers. You are not limited to where to locate your spa. You can decide to install your Jacuzzi anywhere you desire whether it is outside the house or inside, depending on the kind of home that you have.
Check online or your local hardware store, and you will find affordable home spa options for you.
Many home buyers seek out fixer-uppers or older homes as a way to save money. And, while this method can be a great way to save, it does come with a few caveats.
Upgrades and repairs can vary greatly in price. Some might be simple, whereas others can take weeks or months, require permits, and uproot your plans. For these reasons, it’s good to know what you’re getting yourself into with home repairs.
In this article, we’re going to cover the most expensive home repairs and upgrades. That way when you find a home listing that you’re interested in, you can rule out these costly repairs early if you aren’t willing to spend the extra money on them after buying the house.
1. Sewer and septic
Finding out you need to replace a sewer line or a septic system can be a nightmare. Sewer lines are most often damaged by tree root growth, leaving older homes the most vulnerable. On average, homeowners spend around $2,500 to repair a main sewer line.
If you move into a new home that previously only had one inhabitant, you may find that the septic system can’t keep up with the increased workload. Repairs for a septic system average around $1,500. And to replace the septic system and install a new one? You can expect to spend around $5,000 or much more, depending on your needs and location.
2. Foundation repair
Older homes are also subject to foundation damage over the years, which can cause many problems, including safety concerns and water damage.
Houses that have poor drainage and high soil moisture are particularly vulnerable to foundation damage. And, like sewer and septic issues, tree roots can also pose a problem.
For minor cracks, foundation repairs can cost as little as $500. However, more severe damage can cost up to $10,000. On average, Americans spend around $4,000 when they repair a damaged foundation.
3. Roof replacement
Roof replacements are inevitable, but there are ways to ensure you won’t have to install a new one anytime soon. For example, slate and metal roofs can last over 50 years. And concrete? A hundred years or more.
The most common type of roofs, however, are made from asphalt shingles, which last around 20 years. In terms of price, asphalt tends to be the cheapest as well, costing as low as $2,000 to replace. Metal and slate roofs are significantly more expensive, starting at $5,000 and $17,000 respectively.
4. Heat pump installation
Installing a heat pump can be quite costly, with the national average being around $5,300. However, if you live in a moderate climate, a heat pump can replace both your furnace and your air conditioning unit.
Furthermore, if you plan on staying in the home for several years, a heat pump tends to be much more energy efficient than older alternatives.
5. Kitchen remodel
Of all the household remodeling projects--basement, bathrooms, etc.--a kitchen remodel tends to be the priciest. Americans spend about $21,000 on a kitchen remodel. The most expensive part? Cabinetry and hardware at $6,000.